Save a Child's Heart
- Save a Child’s Heart exists to improve the quality of pediatric cardiac care for children from developing countries. The organization was founded by Dr. Amram Cohen who, after serving 20 years with the U.S. Army as a heart surgeon, decided to devote his life to saving children. In 1995, he began Save a Child’s Heart, and by early 2010, the organization had saved the lives of more than 2,400 children around the world.
In the Spotlight from the Start
- Save a Child’s Heart has been raising funds through eBay for Charity since 2007 when a supporter expressed a desire to hold an auction for the organization’s benefit. Since registering with MissionFish, Save a Child’s Heart has participated in Spotlight on Healthy Hearts several times. Because of their involvement, they have been featured in Give at Checkout three times where eBay buyers donated nearly $40,000.
- "The money enabled us to save the lives of four children who would have died without this unexpected support," says David Litwack, executive director of Save a Child’s Heart Foundation U.S. "Whenever we learn about a new eBay for Charity program we try to get involved with it, because we’ve found over time that the programs are well thought out and that they work."
Reaching Out Pays Off
- When eBay for Charity held a contest to drive adoption of the My Favorite Nonprofit tool, Save a Child’s Heart actively encouraged their supporters to add them as a favorite. Social media played a key factor in their promotions. "We have no marketing or publicity budget, but we do have thousands of people in our Facebook fan and cause base," said Litwack. "So we’re using website and email messaging to engage our supporters."
- And it seems to be working.
- "During the campaign, there was a tremendous increase in the number of Community Sellers and listings," said Litwack. "There were about 100 items on sale for us before the campaign. Once it launched, we shot up to more than 700." At the end of the campaign, Save a Child’s Heart was one of the top 5 favorite nonprofits on eBay. "A number of buyers who found us on eBay for Charity and at eBay checkout have now become regular donors," says Litwack.
- In order to encourage these eBay donors to take the next step and continue to support their cause, Save a Child’s Heart makes sure to stay in touch. They regularly send their eBay community thank you e-mails, eNewsletters, and any other publications they would send to their usual donor base.