> What's New
> Success Stories
> Pug Rescue of North Carolina
Pug Rescue of North Carolina Funds Life-Saving Work with eBay for Charity
The Pug Rescue of North Carolina is using eBay for Charity to tap into a new source of unrestricted
funding that supports their work of placing unwanted and injured pugs into forever homes. Currently,
their eBay sales make up a quarter of their overall fundraising.
A Fundraising Tale
- While shopping on eBay, a volunteer at The Pug Rescue of North Carolina stumbled
upon eBay for Charity. Since 2005, The Pug Rescue of North Carolina has been a
eBay for Charity Nonprofit Direct Seller, offering a variety of homemade items
including sweaters, t-shirts, and dog scarves (a best-seller), in addition to an annually
published pug calendar.
- With no paid employees, every cent raised goes directly to caring for the pugs and
pays for expenses such as medical bills, spaying, neutering, and anything else pugs
need while in the rescue’s care. In 2007 alone, they saved the lives of over 215 pugs.
- Cathleen Codling, President, is a fan of how easy the program is, “The items sell
themselves. You can go to bed at night and wake up to find you’ve sold three things.”
One of their greatest eBay for Charity coups happened when they sold a
handmade sweater that featured a pug—it went for over $200. “We thought it might
sell for $70 or so, but were thrilled when it sold for so much.”
- Some buyers have gone onto to become supporters, “I think it’s wonderful, that the person buying our items
knows the money is going to a nonprofit. We’ve had people who have bought from us and then made a donation.”
Keeping Community Sellers
- Several Community Sellers have shown support for the rescue’s work to boot. Cathleen says people who were not prior supporters have discovered the nonprofit on eBay for Charity and become Community Sellers for their
cause. As a thank you, any seller who donates over $250 can be named as a sponsor and recognized on the
rescue’s website. They’re also happy to link to any business supporting their work. “We try to give Community
Sellers as much positive incentive to list for us as we can,” she explains.
- Looking to the future, The Pug Rescue of North Carolina wants to grow in size to give more pugs a happy life in a forever home. And of course they’ll continue using eBay for Charity to fund the betterment of pugs’ lives.