MissionFish
  |  
Help  |  Contact Us  |  Site Map
 Home > What's New > Success Stories > University of Missouri
  • eBay Giving Works Charity Ribbon University of Missouri

  • University of Missouri
    In his role as Surplus Property & Asset Manager at the University of Missouri External Link, Bo Solomon first turned to eBay as an eco-friendly way to recycle the school’s excess supplies, furniture, and electronic equipment, while also raising much-needed funds. But what started out as simple monthly eBay auctions of select "sellable" items quickly took on a life of its own when Solomon was introduced to eBay Giving Works External Link.
  • An Intro Course

  • Though initially attracted by the eBay Giving Works fee credit External Link, Solomon was particularly excited to find that the program raised the University’s visibility online, resulting in a snowball effect in terms of sales. "Better scores boost our eBay profile. And the fact that we’re a nonprofit helps encourage people to buy and be repeat buyers," he said. In fact according to Solomon, a majority of sales are from repeat customers, including alumni, locals and dedicated University of Missouri fans, many of whom he's come to know on a first-name basis through their eBay transactions.
  • Mathematics 101

  • Citing the combination of reduced fees, increased sales, and a loyal customer base, Solomon believes eBay Giving Works is one of the University’s most cost-effective forms of fundraising. Completely self-sustaining, the University's eBay store currently employs five people, across three campuses, in both part- and full-time positions. By putting 35% of all items' sales proceeds toward running the store, Solomon is able to cover not only his employees’ salaries, but also the cost of transportation and labor involved in collecting and distributing donated items. The remaining 65% goes back to the donated piece's department of origin, providing it with an avenue to both recycle old equipment and invest in new technology for students. Departments have also indicated that funds generated through eBay Giving Works are vital to their efforts to add student employees to their payrolls.
  • Making the Grade

  • Looking forward, Solomon can see even greater potential for fundraising through eBay Giving Works. One of the program’s biggest successes has been the increase in in-kind donations for resale. While universities traditionally place a great deal of emphasis on raising monetary donations from alumni, eBay Giving Works opens the door to a wider array of gifting options. To this point, Solomon says that one of their best sales to date was that of a set of antique Hummel Figurines donated from a private estate.
  • In addition to encouraging these in-kind donations from alumni, Solomon can also imagine University supporters joining in as Community Sellers with proceeds going towards scholarships. And while the logistics of creating a scholarship fund may be a bit down the road, Solomon believes that all nonprofit Direct Sellers should be thinking about new and innovative ways to use eBay Giving Works. As a proponent of university eBay stores, he’s presented the benefits of being a nonprofit Direct Seller to University Surplus Property Association (USPA) conferences and hopes to share ideas and experiences with participating universities in the near future.
  • According to Solomon, becoming a nonprofit Direct Seller through eBay Giving Works is something that all universities should be doing – there are no downsides, and the cost-savings of fees alone are substantial. He cautions that patience is the key, but that the long-term benefits are great. In terms of university fundraising, Solomon believes selling through eBay Giving Works is just a smart thing to do.
  • Visit the University of Missouri's About My Nonprofit page External Link and eBay Store External Link.



Copyright © 2000-2013 PayPal Giving Fund. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the PayPal Giving Fund User Agreement and Privacy Policy. PayPal Giving Fund is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization (Federal Tax ID: 45-0931286).