What information do we collect?
- PayPal Giving Fund collects personally identifiable information about Authorized Users during the registration process, when processing donation payments, as otherwise required to offer access to the Site and Giving Tools, as listed in the Terms and Conditions, and as otherwise identified below. In addition, PayPal Giving Fund collects certain information that cannot be used to personally identify any user, such as anonymous, aggregate or statistical data.
- In order to use the Giving Tools, all Authorized Users must complete the PayPal Giving Fund registration form accessible through the eBay "Sell Your Item" process and on the Site. PayPal Giving Fund collects and maintains a record of all data provided through such registration forms. For example, individual users who desire to make a donation through the use of our Giving Tools must provide certain contact information and financial information, such as name, address, email address, a credit card number and expiration date (for processing each donation).
- Following registration, PayPal Giving Fund will be granted access to information including, but not limited to, each Authorized User's eBay Seller ID and email address in order to collect and maintain records of all individual transactions conducted through the Site and Giving Tools. Those records are associated with each Authorized User's individual account profile within the PayPal Giving Fund system. Please note that each Authorized User's eBay password will never be shared with PayPal Giving Fund.
- We also collect and maintain records of information that you voluntarily provide to us. For example, we may ask you to participate in a survey of Authorized Users, and may ask you to provide personally identifiable information, such as age, gender or other demographic data. However, unless such information is necessary for operating the Site and/or Giving Tools or required by the Terms and Conditions, we do not require you to provide such information to us. By providing such information voluntarily, you give PayPal Giving Fund permission to use such information as described in this policy.
- We collect additional information through the Site and the Giving Tools that is not associated with your online account or your registration information, and that cannot be used to personally identify you (all such information is "Non-Personal Data," in contrast to collected information described above, which is, "Personal Information"). Non-Personal Data ordinarily includes aggregate, summary, or other anonymous data, and may include, by way of example, statistics regarding total registrations, total amount of donations, popularity of particular pages within the Site, or information regarding types of Internet browsers used by Authorized Users. We also collect Non-Personal Data about each Authorized User's IP address to help diagnose problems with our server, and to administer our Web site, but such IP addresses are not associated with individual account profiles or registration information.
- "Cookies" are small files placed on a user's computer by a Web site in order to facilitate use of that Web site. For example, a cookie may contain information about a user's preferences, so that the Web site automatically complies with those preferences whenever the user visits that Web site. When using the Site and Giving Tools, we may create "cookies" on your computer for purposes of facilitating and maintaining your current user session, and may collect Personal Information using those cookies in order to enable PayPal Giving Fund and eBay to identify you in connection with the Site and to track use of the Giving Tools for purposes consistent with this policy.
- The Site and the Giving Tools are not directed to children and children are not eligible to use the Site or the Giving Tools. Protecting the privacy of children is very important to us. We do not collect or maintain Personal Information from people we actually know are under 18, and no part of our Site or the Giving Tools are designed to attract people under 18. If we later learn that a user is under 18, we will take steps to remove that user's Personal Information from our databases and to prevent the user from utilizing the Site and the Giving Tools.
Use and disclosure of collected information
- PayPal Giving Fund uses information collected from the Site and the Giving Tools in several ways, as outlined in this policy. For example, we use Personal Information as needed to provide the Giving Tools, to process donations made by Authorized Users, and to communicate with such Authorized Users. We also use both Personal Information and Non-Personal Data when evaluating ways to improve the Site and the Giving Tools. As further described below, we may disclose collected information, including Personal Information, to certain third parties in connection with providing the Giving Tools or as required by law. We will not use or disclose collected information in ways different from what is described in this policy unless otherwise required by law.
- PayPal Giving Fund uses information that is collected through the registration process from Authorized Users or that is collected in connection with individual transactions in order to provide the Giving Tools as described in the Terms and Conditions. For example we use such information to do the following:
- To communicate with each Authorized User to confirm registration and to inform about the status of particular charitable listings, or as otherwise necessary to provide the Giving Tools;
- To process donations, including, by way of example, by billing donors and by obtaining authorizations for payments (e.g., credit card payments, certified bank checks, wire transfers or other electronic payments);
- To send Authorized Users receipts and appropriate tax documentation for donations made through the Site.
- PayPal Giving Fund also uses information collected through the Site and the Giving Tools to communicate with the Authorized Users from whom such information was collected in order to provide promotional materials about PayPal Giving Fund, about nonprofit organizations participating in the service, and/or about our business partners and affiliates. However, unlike communications which are necessary to provide the Giving Tools to Authorized Users ("Necessary Communications"), promotional communications are optional ("Optional Communications"), and PayPal Giving Fund will refrain from sending that kind of information to you if you inform us that you prefer not to receive them, as described in more detail below.
- PayPal Giving Fund uses Non-Personal Data in a variety of ways, including, by way of example, to evaluate the performance of the Site and the general preferences of Authorized Users, or to generate anonymous statistics for the benefit of nonprofit organizations participating in the Site or for our business partners. Because Non-Personal Data is entirely anonymous, and therefore can never be used by us to identify you, this policy does not limit PayPal Giving Fund's ability to use or disclose Non-Personal Data.
- If we collect information through the Site and/or the Giving Tools that you provide to us voluntarily by participating in online surveys, through email communications or by other means, we will treat that information as described above, as applied to both Personal Information and Non-Personal Data. Part of the Site will enable you voluntarily to recommend the Site or Giving Tools to one or more friends, and to recommend charitable organizations for participation. If you provide any such recommendations, please note that we may attempt to contact those friends and charitable organizations through a one-time email in order to invite them to visit the Site, and we will identify you by name as having made the recommendation. We store this Personal Information as part of our records about all activity which happens on the Website. We will not share or otherwise use this Personal Information beyond the initial email invitation.
- As a necessary part of providing the Site and Giving Tools, we may disclose information collected from you as described in this policy. For example, we will disclose certain Personal Information collected from you through the Site or Giving Tools to eBay and to our registered nonprofit organizations. We also provide Personal Information about you – like name and credit card number - to our third-party service providers, such as credit card processing companies. These third parties are prohibited from using your personal information for any other purpose. If you use the Giving Tools to choosing a Participating Nonprofit to be the intended beneficiary of a portion of your eBay listing proceeds, we may also disclose your name and zip code to the nonprofit organization that you designate as your intended beneficiary. Under certain limited circumstances, we may be subject to legal requirements to disclose information collected through the Site or the Giving Tools, such as, by way of example, to a court or a governmental agency, and our policy is to comply fully with all such legal requirements. The disclosures contemplated by this paragraph ("Necessary Disclosures") are necessary if you wish to use the Site and Giving Tools. As mentioned above, PayPal Giving Fund may use and disclose Non-Personal Data without restriction. If you do not want us to make such Necessary Disclosures, or to use Non-Personal Data without restriction, you must not use the Service.
- PayPal Giving Fund will respect your preferences, as you may indicate to us in your Account Profile (further described below), regarding whether it is permissible for us to make disclosures of Personal Information other than described above, such as disclosures of additional Personal Information about you to registered charitable organizations that you have designated as donation beneficiaries If you indicate in your Account Profile that we may make such disclosures, those third parties may contact you for various reasons, such as for purposes of providing promotional information about charitable opportunities. Unlike Necessary Disclosures, these kinds of disclosures of Personal Information are optional ("Optional Disclosures"), and Authorized Users may use the Site and Giving Tools even if they indicate their preference that we not make such Optional Disclosures. PayPal Giving Fund will not make Optional Disclosures of your Personal Information if you inform us of that preference as described below.
- We will not share, sell, trade or rent your personal information to any third party for promotional or unknown uses.
Choice, opting-in and opting-out regarding optional communications and optional disclosures
- Because PayPal Giving Fund respects your privacy, we provide certain opportunities for you to indicate your preferences regarding how we use and/or disclose information collected about you from the Site and the Giving Tools. If you are an Authorized User, by indicating your preferences in your online account profile for the Site and Giving Tools, which includes your registration information and other information voluntarily provided by you (your "Account Profile"), you will be able to inform us whether you wish to receive certain Optional Communications from us, as well as your preferences regarding Optional Disclosures. Each Authorized User may also indicate such preferences during the initial registration process, or may click here to contact us. Please also note that, although we will respect such preferences that you indicate regarding Optional Communications and Optional Disclosures, information is nevertheless collected from your use of the Site and the Giving Tools as described above, largely through automated processes. Even so, we will treat Personal Information collected from you in accordance with those preferences, unless otherwise required by law.
- Furthermore, if you are an Authorized User and elect to make a donation anonymously (by indicating that preference during the listing process), we will ask the nonprofit organization whom you designate as your intended beneficiary to treat your Personal Information as confidential, but please note that we will identify you by name and zip code to that charitable organization as a Necessary Disclosure, because charitable organizations need to know the identity of persons from whom they accept charitable designations, and we have agreed to provide such information to those charitable organizations.
- PayPal Giving Fund does not maintain responsibility for the manner in which third parties use or further disclose Personal Information collected from you through the Site or the Giving Tools, after PayPal Giving Fund has disclosed that information to those third parties. However, we do require our third-party service providers to promise not to use such information except as necessary to provide the relevant services to us. Please note that PayPal Giving Fund is not affiliated with eBay and neither bears responsibility for, nor exercises control over, eBay's use or disclosure of Personal Information provided by you in connection with the Site or Giving Tools. If you do not want PayPal Giving Fund to use or disclose Personal Information collected about you in the manners identified in this policy as Necessary Communications and/or Necessary Disclosures, you may not use the Site and Giving Tools. If you are merely a visitor to the Site but are not registered as an Authorized User of the Site and Giving Tools, please note that PayPal Giving Fund does not collect any Personal Information except in connection with the Site and Giving Tools, so you do not need to opt-out regarding any such communications or disclosures.
- The Site contains links to other Web sites. Please be aware that PayPal Giving Fund is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such other Web sites. PayPal Giving Fund encourages our users to be aware when they leave our Site and to read the privacy statements of each and every Web site that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by PayPal Giving Fund through the Site.
Access to personal information collected from you
- Authorized Users may access their Account Profiles at any time to update Personal Information contained within that Account Profile. Subsequent uses or disclosures of information by PayPal Giving Fund will reflect those changes, but PayPal Giving Fund has no ability to update any information previously disclosed to any third party. Certain information within your Account Profile may be provided to PayPal Giving Fund by eBay (such as an eBay seller and nonprofit contact name, address and email address), and in such cases you will only be able to update such information by doing so within your eBay account, after which the updates will be reflected within your Account Profile. Certain information is necessary in order for PayPal Giving Fund to provide the Site and Giving Tools; therefore, if you delete such necessary information you will not be able to use the Site and Giving Tools.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing, although most information within the Account Profiles can be updated online, certain information within the Account Profiles of participating nonprofit organizations (e.g., bank account information) may only be changed by contacting PayPal Giving Fund directly and by following the instructions that PayPal Giving Fund may provide. For example, in order to change the bank account information of a participating nonprofit organization, PayPal Giving Fund may require that organization to fax a copy of a voided check containing the new bank account information.
- The Site has security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and unauthorized alteration of Personal Information in PayPal Giving Fund's possession and control. For example, whenever the Service requests that Authorized Users provide sensitive information (such as providing a credit card number during initial registration), that information is encrypted with industry standard encryption techniques. When you are viewing a secure page within the Site, such as our user registration form, an icon of a padlock will appear as "locked" at the bottom of web browsers such as Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer, but the same icon will appear as "un-locked" when the user is merely "surfing." We currently use an encryption program known as "SSL," or "Secure Sockets Layer." To learn more about SSL, go to http://www.ssl.com/. Credit card authorization requests are sent using the same encryption technology.
- Furthermore, access to Personal Information is physically restricted within PayPal Giving Fund's own offices, so that only certain PayPal Giving Fund employees are granted access to such information as appropriate to perform specific jobs and tasks (e.g., performing customer service). Some information is also stored in an encrypted form within PayPal Giving Fund's own databases.
- Please be aware that, although we endeavor to provide reasonable security for information in our possession and control, no security system can prevent against all potential security breaches, and PayPal Giving Fund bears no liability for uses or disclosures of Personal Information or Non-Personal Data arising in connection with the theft thereof. Likewise, Authorized Users are responsible for safeguarding the confidentiality of passwords to the Site and Giving Tools, and PayPal Giving Fund bears no liability for access to, or use or disclosure of, Personal Information, if such access, use or disclosure arises in connection with the theft or disclosure (whether intentional or negligent) of such Authorized User's password.
- If you have any questions about our security measures, you can click here to contact us.
Changes to this policy
Contacting PayPal Giving Fund